Monday, January 30, 2006

Ethics topic?

You know when giving me an assignment you can't be too broad. I have to have things specific, narrowed down. I've got to write a 10-15 page research paper on any topic/career/major/profession and the ethical situation or applications which are most likely to happen in that area of interest. There are so many I can think of and I can't seem to narrow my focus at this point in time. My prof says that once I begin really examining these issues, I will be able to focus. I have a lot of research to do.

We tend to filter our thinking through some type of ethical world view and I find it interesting that in one recent assignment when I compared individual rights, diversity, common good, justice and several other world views, I found that individual rights was more important than the rest. It doesn't mean I think everyone shouldn't come together for a common good at some point, doesn't mean I don't believe diversity, justice or any of the others were important but to me if we don't have individual rights, none of the rest really matters.

What kind of person would be willing to trade individual rights and freedoms for security? Yeah I know we all want to be secure and safe. What would happen if we told our leaders that our safety and security meant more than being free?

The hungry would be fed, the sick would be medicated, the unemployed would have jobs, seniors could age without fear of neglect, children could go to school without fear of violence, people could retire without worrying about their income.

So you think.

All that "perfect world" stuff is a little iffy but one thing is sure....the government of the this country would own every little piece of your life.

You can't possibly want to set this country back in the dark ages? To hell with the sacrifices made by millions of people--both soldiers and civilians--who died to keep America free----who died to keep communism and fascism off our shores----who thought that their safety and security (and ultimately their lives) was worth sacrificing for your liberty and freedom?

No way.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1/30/2006

    Amen, and well put. I believe when individuals have rights and freedoms all the others will follow. No country or government is ever going to be perfect, because they are made up of people and people are not perfect. This country, however, is the best there has ever been and it is up to us to preserve liberty and justice for all.

    ReplyDelete