Sunday, April 23, 2006

Alleged Duke rapist not the only one with a record...

When Duke University students Colin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann were named for the alleged rape of a woman a few weeks ago, it also came out that Finnerty had been arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault several months before in Washington DC for allegedly calling a guy "gay and derogatory names". To my knowledge Seligmann has never been arrested. But it seems Finnerty isn't the only one with a record.

According to Dilby who took the story straight from the Charlotte Observer and Crime Log of the Herald Sun from June 2002:

"Monday, Crystal Gail Mangum, 23, of 2111 Charles St. was charged with larceny of a motor vehicle, driving while impaired, assault with a deadly weapon, damage to real property and resisting an officer, among other offenses, the warrant states. Mangum allegedly drove the stolen blue Durham Taxi Associates cab toward a Durham County sheriff'sdeputy, forcing him to jump out of the way and causing $200 of damage to his 2002 Crown Victoria cruiser, the warrant states. The deputy hadstopped Mangum because he suspected her of driving while impaired, thereport states. Mangum was taken to Durham County Jail and held on a $75,000 secured bond.

And then there's her friend, Kim Roberts, the second stripper present on the night of the alleged rape. Ms. Roberts was arrested on March 22, 2006 for "probation violation stemming from a 2001 conviction for $25,000 embezzlement from a Durham phofinishing company where she worked in the payroll department."

Ms. Roberts sent an email to a well-known PR firm recently. From FoxNews.com



Raw Data: Stripper's E-Mail to P.R. Firm
Friday, April 21, 2006

Below is the text of the e-mail sent by Kim Roberts to 5W Public Relations in New York. Roberts, an exotic dancer, accompanied the woman accusing members of the Duke University men's lacrosse team of raping her the night of March 13.

Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:21 PM

To: Ronn Torossian

Subject: duke lacrosse scandal

Hi!

My name is Kim and I am involved in the Duke Lacrosse scandal. Although I am no celebrity and just an average citizen, I've found myself in the center of one of the biggest stories in the country. I'm worried about letting this opportunity pass me by without making the best of it and was wondering if you had any advice as to how to spin this to my advantage. I am determined not to let any negative publicity about my life overtake me. I'm so confused as to who to talk to for relevant advice and I hope that you can return my e-mail. If you cannot help, do you know of any names and numbers I can call?

Thanks for your time,

The 2nd Dancer...





Below is the text of a press release from 5W Public Relations in response to questions about Roberts' e-mail soliciting help in the Duke matter.

"We understand now that we were contacted because of our experience in crisis communications with high profile individuals, particularly our representation of Lil' Kim of whom this woman is a huge fan. We have been in discussions with her and are currently evaluating our position on this matter. I have been asked why she contacted us — My response: Anyone who is in the firing line of the media should contact a PR firm — The media swarms are very intimidating and scary and people should always contact media experts before speaking with the media," said Ronn Torossian, CEO of 5W Public Relations.

The firm has represented a number of high profile celebrities and
cases.


Well there you have it folks.

I'm not saying the alleged victim and her friend lied as it is too soon to know that although it is a possibility. I am not saying Seligmann and Finnerty are innocent either because their guilt is also a possibility. But since the issue of character and past offense was brought into the limelight in order to make the case that Finnerty is a racist, bigoted, rich privileged white boy, it's only fair that the record(s) of the accuser(s) be laid out on the table too.

The point here is that what someone does in their past may not be indicative of future acts, not always. Calling someone "gay and derogatory names" is stupid but it doesn't make someone a rapist. And on the flip side, being a stripper and getting drunk and stealing a cab, running from police and trying to run over a cop doesn't make you lie about being raped.

The truth will eventually come out, it always does. In the meantime I think we are all going to be very surprised when this is all over.

Or maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/24/2006

    I still think she is a liar!--ST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know enough to say she's a liar or they're innocent. All I can do is speculate.

    ReplyDelete