Sunday, April 16, 2006

Victims of their own ignorance...

I don't know why I never knew this. But yesterday when we were sitting around the dining room table chatting, talking about Iran wanting to nuke Israel, anti-semitism, and such, my mother and grandmother brought up an event that happened back in the early 1960's. Mom and her folks had moved from Brooklyn to Miami in the late fifties, and in 1960 bought their first home. One night sometime after they were living in that home, someone burned a swastika on their front lawn.

Mom told us that in high school people made fun of her because she was Jewish. She said that she took a stance against racism when she sat with four black students in the back of the bus. She felt the racism was wrong and wanted to show her solidarity. Mom has always been a very compassionate understanding person and she knew what it was like to be hated and she took a stance to show that she understood how it felt. Her skin wasn't black but the mere fact that her last name was Jewish was enough to turn people against her.

Can you imagine the level of ignorance in a person who, in an attempt to scare a Jewish family, burns a swastika on their front lawn?

I don't hate those kind of people, I pity them. It is they who are the victims of their own ignorance.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't get a chance to finish telling that story Jess. I knew who had burned that swastika on our lawn, and also squirted our dog Yogi in the eyes with bleach (thanks to a good vet he was fine). The ignorant son of a bitch was someone I went to school with, by the name of Stanley Gustafson. By the way, in the 80's I heard from my good friend, June, that he died in Viet Nam when an Army helicopter he was in crashed to the ground. Did I feel bad when I found out? No. I don't believe in turning the other cheek and forgiving those who would do us harm, and I never will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never expect you to turn the other cheek or forgive. I don't know if I could turn the other cheek either. I mean I know that we're supposed to "forgive those who trespass against us" but really, it's difficult to actually do it when someone perpetrates such hate against you, ya know?

    For me, I noticed when I "hate" I also feel really vengeful and strangely it eats away at me, not because I want to like those people, I don't like them, don't want to, it's because the mere "feeling" of hatred makes me physically sick, does that make sense? I have good reason to hate many people but when I did "feel" the hate it just made me sick. I know people who did what that asshole did to you guys and Yogi ultimately pay for it. I am sure he did. I actually do pity people like Stanley Gustafson because of their ignorance. People like that never change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/16/2006

    I think the reason God tells us not to hate is because it harms us, not the one we hate. They could really care less what we think of them. You are right. The hate just eats us alive. Sometimes it is REALLY hard not to hate, though. I think in the end, people like this jerk do more to harm themselves than we could ever do to get vengenance.--ST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about hate making you feel sick - ultimately, it hurts the hater more than the hate-eee. The cretins who did this must have lived miserable lives, where the highlight is to abuse others...

    ReplyDelete