Thursday, May 25, 2006

Dear Congress...the people are speaking...

.....and you aren't going to like what they're saying.

They're saying "It's time for a change in our tax system because we're tired of the federal government penalizing us for our hard work and success"

Sometime last year I purchased and read "The Fair Tax Book" and enjoyed it very much. I came away from the book with many questions, but for the most part, I think with some changes and some clarifications, it could be implemented. Some people though may not think that abolishing the IRS and federal income tax and replacing with a 23% consumption tax is a good idea. But anything is better than what we have now, and what could be more fair than taxing people for what they consume, not what they earn. There are so many positives to this plan, if you want to know what they are, get the book. You don't have to buy it, check it out from the library, just READ about it. Get your mind busy thinking about the issue.

One of the main reasons I love the idea of a consumption tax is that it gives the American people more control over Congressional spending, it puts the reigns of government spending back in the hands of the people. They're spending our money up there in Washington, don't we care?

Yes, we do!

Look at what we pay in taxes, surcharges, and service fees--on damn near everything. We've got federal income tax, state income tax, property tax, gas tax, motor vehicle tax, state and local sales tax, service fees, and surcharges on phone, electric, cable, and other bills. Everywhere we turn, you are being taxed for something. I for one, am just tired of it. I'm tired of being taxed to death. The Fair Tax is simply an alternate plan, and maybe, just maybe, a way of ridding us of the cumbersome IRS and federal income tax burden for good.

I sure wish I had been able to attend the Fair Tax Rally in Atlanta last night. Nearly 5,000 people came together to show their support for the growing grass roots movement. I just want to say way to go Neal Boortz, Congressman Linder, and all the people who worked hard to put the rally together and THANK YOU to all the people who have purchased the book (whose profits have gone to charity) and who attended the rally last night, and who have shown their support in other ways.

You care and that's a good start!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/25/2006

    Put me on the Fair Tax band wagon. If the education were better in this country, more people would see the superiority of the fair tax system. The reason it will not pass, at least not any time soon, is because there is a large segment of the population that does not pay any tax and to top it all off they get back money that they didn't even pay in (ie. earned income credit.) I like the fair tax, because well, it's fair. The more money you make, the more you purchase, the more you pay. Everyone pays under this system and it is proportional to your income/spending. Of course, you do have all these people who get welfare/medicaid, don't pay taxes, and walk around with all kinds of electronics,new clothing, and vehicles that this hard working, tax paying family can't afford. If they can't afford to pay taxes or to take care of themselves, how can they afford all this other stuff and who will pay the taxes on it for them? I am also not a fan of soaking it to the rich and large corporations. For one thing they keep the economy going and for another thing, I aspire to be one of them someday.

    My final thought is this. I have heard the politicians discussing the fair tax and, just like any other law, they will probably screw this up if we ever get it passed. I have heard them talking about "pre-bates" for people who can not afford to pay the tax. You know the "working poor". PLEASE, someone in the public school system start teaching proportions. The rich pay more and the poor pay less, but everyone pays the same rate!--ST

    PS. I also want to privatize social security. I don't know why anyone would be against that one either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are preaching to the chior my friend! The rally was amazing and bulging at the seams!!!! Twice as many as expected showed up!!! WhooooHOOOOO!

    Did you know that 3 of the fastest growing economies are in states without income tax...TX, TN and FL if I remember correctly. So...yeah, life can work without income tax and with consumption taxes! I love the idea that I can control exactly how much tax I pay. Here is a GREAT thing:
    http://www.peachpundit.com/?p=1312

    (((hugs)))

    BTW, are ya'll out of school yet? We finished up on Wed. I am so glad.

    ReplyDelete