Thursday, May 25, 2006

I want to push for this legislation...

To my knowledge, there is no law mandating that companies doing business in the US divulge the geographical location of their customer service call centers.

I'd like to push for that law.

In this day and age I think it's extremely important that Americans know who is dealing with their personal information, and whether or not they are doing business in America. Imagine my surprise when I called Dish Network to get setup for service and I was talking to someone in India? When I asked "where are you located?" and she said "we are not allowed to disclose that information"

Companies will not come right out and tell you who you are giving your personal information to, and they might assure you it's safe but what kind of safeguards are there really?

I have a right to decide if 1) I want to give my personal information to someone overseas and 2) if I want to do business with an American company who employs foreign workers instead of american workers. I have a right to know so that I can decide whether or not I want to give my hard-earned dollars to that company.

Ok, here I go....about to find out if this law exists and if not, how I can make it happen.

Oh and one more thing, before you say "it's no big deal", the IRS outsources millions of tax returns (containing all your personal information) to India. Thought you might like to know that. Of course you won't find that information anywhere on their website and if you're busy watching those dumb reality TV shows, you probably missed the episode of 60 Minutes a few years ago that exposed it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5/26/2006

    I did not know that, but not because I was watching dumb reality shows;) I just turned the TV off because they are stupid and get on my nerves. I do find it very disturbing and it really ticks me off. Happy research. I'm with you!--ST

    ReplyDelete