Monday, June 26, 2006

In agreement with Scalia...

As much as I detest the thought of burning the flag, I have to agree with Justice Antonin Scalia in that the proposed Constitutional amenddment "dilutes the very freedom that makes this emblem so revered.”

The flag is merely a symbol, burning that symbol does not burn what it stands for--freedom. Freedom does not die if the flag is burned, in fact, it prospers. I wouldn't burn a flag myself because I don't have the disdain for America that would make me hate a symbol of freedom so much that I would want to destroy it. But if another American feels he or she has no other recourse to protest but to burn the flag, let them have at it.

I figure my right to speak out against my government exists as long as those other folks have their right to burn the flag. But if our government begins putting restrictions on harmless flag burning, what's to say they can't put restrictions on harmless political blogging?

I say leave the Constitution alone. This proposed amendment to ban flag burning would be the first amendment to the Constitution (other than Prohibition which was as we all know, repealed), which would seek to put a limit on the rights of Americans. Any Constitutional Amendment which would restrict the rights of the people must be struck down at all costs.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Aren't there more important issues that Congress needs to spend some time addressing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One would think, Violet, one would think...

    ReplyDelete