Saturday, July 29, 2006

#19: My favorite book of all time...

...is "Black Beauty"

My parents and grandparents used to give me books for my birthday when I was a child. In 1974 I received Black Beauty inscribed by my parents as always. I read it what I think amounted to a thousand times and never ever got bored with it.

I often fancied myself in that time and place--England in the 1800's. Reading it back then made me feel happy and warm. I no longer have that particular book my parents gave me and I can't bring myself to read any other edition but that one. That small book with the yellow cover with the black horse on it was really my favorite edition. I wish I still had it. I found it once at a used bookseller online but never brought myself to buy it. Maybe if I do buy it, the memory will somehow be tainted? My DH bought the movie for me but still I don't watch it though I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I want to leave things as they are---just remembering what Black Beauty meant to me as a child. Some things are better left where they are, you know what I mean?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/29/2006

    Robert did about 5 or 6 book reports on the Black Stallion in school. He wasn't much for reading back then. Now I can't get him to stop. Our favorite book is Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. Mrs. Broduer made us read it and we have loved it every since. The BBC mini series is fabulous. We watch it all the time.__ST

    ReplyDelete