Saturday, July 29, 2006

#3: Just your typical family

My mom and dad are pretty normal people at least I think they are. They might tell you different. We come from your typical dysfunctional family with its own share of problems but we do care about one another very much. My mother's always been sci-fi nut. Not sci-fi like Star Trek but Steven Speilberg, Rod Serling type sci-fi. She loved shows like Twilight Zone, Amazing Stories, One Step Beyond and stuff like that. My parents actually saw "the Blob", "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" and "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". Those were the movies of their era.

So it should be no surprise that one episode of life in the early 80's found us sitting outside our home in the country, where there was 6 acres, no lights, and nothing but trees, night critters, and open sky. That night we were in the backyard around a bonfire on a cold dark night in the middle of winter. What we were doing? Roasting marshmallows, listening to the Close Encounters record through an open window and looking up in the sky for UFO's.

Yes, UFO's. My dad saw them when he was in the Air Force, my mom believes in them and I tell ya I just can't believe we're the only intelligent life forms in the universe!

We'd sit out there and tell ghost stories and look for UFO's and every time we kids thought we found one it turned out to be a falling star. But it was fun, good quality family time and we all shared a common bond--wanting to be abducted by aliens! :)

I just wonder what the neighboring farmers thought. Here were these city folks sitting outside in 30 degree weather looking for ET.

What's better is the night mom, sis, bro and me were on our way back from the movies in the dark one night. It was about a 40 minute drive home and we were in mom's 1982 Firebird, Charcoal Grey with T-tops, (her baby) and we were out in the country far from anything. All the sudden she turns off the headlights and starts saying "oh better look out for pebbles in the road, no wait...nuns in the road" LOL anyone who saw "Twilight Zone the Movie would remember that line at the beginning when Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks were driving down the lonely road in the middle of the night). ANyway, yes my mother just shuts off her headlights driving down the road. OMG it was FUN! We were thinking "yeah yeah our mom is cool"

Man I wonder what they'd do if I did that to them now?

Yeah uh--riiiight!

2 comments:

  1. wanna see something really scary????? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha mom so see you remember eh?

    ReplyDelete