Sunday, September 24, 2006

Oh Oprah, get over yourself!

This is just too funny. A former schoolteacher in his sixties is promoting Oprah for President.

And now Oprah's lawyers are threatening him, telling him he's committing copyright and trademark infringement by using her image on his site and the cover of his book which promotes her candidacy. Funny how her lawyers never complain about it if it's promoting something she supports.

Hmm....like she'd even have a chance of being elected! It's ok Oprah, don't get yourself all worked up, it's not like it would actually happen.

Now there's no love lost between Oprah and me, in fact she downright annoys me and I am sure I annoy her too. I guess it started when every time I turned on her show she either had Dr. Phil on or one of her celebrity buddies gushing over some big celebrity bash she just threw or attended or how much fun they had shoe shopping in the most expensive shoe stores or and this is the best one...her fashion shows on how to dress like a million bucks for only a few dollars. Perhaps it was the outfit where the shirt cost $70, the pants cost $110 and the shoes cost $65. I don't know, maybe it's just me but uh--for $110 those damn pants better jump off me, into the washer and dryer and iron themselves if I'm going to spend that kind of money. And $65 for shoes? Hello?

Then there's the diet and exercise thing. Yes I remember Oprah when she was fat and thin and fat and thin again. I remember he several diets, her carting animal fat onto stage, I recall all of it like it was yesterday. And I am glad she's lost the weight and feeling good (but a size 8 she says? I think not!) but she could do all us gals a favor and when she's promoting her weight loss and nutrition ieas it's probably a good idea not to keep going on and on about her workout trainer, grueling three hour long workout schedule and personal chef. You see, most of us don't have the time to workout three hours a day or the luxury to afford a personal trainer and personal chef to prepare and cook all our meals.

Don't get me wrong, I think Oprah has some great shows but overall I just got tired of her name-dropping celebrity crap, the Oprah diet/fitness regime and her endless promoting of certain individuals like Suze Orman, Bob Greene and Dr. Phil. Nobody would know or give a crap who these people were if Oprah hadn't had then on her show OVER and OVER and OVER again and just gushed about how wonderful they were.

Finally theres that God-awful book club. I have actually heard women say they wouldn't read a book unless Oprah recommended it.

Seriously I guess I am just one of those few unfortunate women who can actually function without worrying about WWOD "What would Oprah do?". That's what I affectionately refer to as the syndrome in which women across the country can't seem to make a rational decision about their lives unless they consult Oprah's tv show, books, magazine or website.

But me? Amazing as it seems, I can dress myself (and yes I wear white after Labor Day), I hold a good job, I'm getting my education, I know how to budget, I'm exercising and eating right, am happily married (at least some of the time) and I get along with my family and believe it nor not I read great books, none of which were recommended by Oprah.

Gee, I don't know how I've managed to survive this long without her wisdom....

4 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of what you said, but I also have to admire her for all the hard work that brought her to where she is today. She began with absolutely nothing and wound up one of the richest and most influential women in the US. Good for her! If they ever nominated her I for one would give her my vote. She would probably do a hell of a lot better than the moron we have now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee hee... WWOD?!? You're too funny - I'm right with you on the $65 shoes - even when we had a bunch of money, no way was I spending that much on stuff that hit the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I read about your thoughts on Oprah the more I like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds DO think alike don't they Sam and Steve? :)

    ReplyDelete