Thursday, September 14, 2006

PC just doesn't become me...

I was told today that I'm just too opinionated and I was asked if I thought my political opinions might dissuade certain universities from admitting me to their PhD program. I don't even know where that came from, I was simply having a casual conversation about politics with someone I used to work with.

Well, I'm not known for being quiet and shy. Truth be told, if I don't know you, I will usually wait for you to make the first move and introduce yourself, but once I get to know you I'm hardly quiet. Most who know me personally and professionally would probably tell you that I am quite opinionated, sometimes bold, and definitely above all things---not politically correct. So with all that, how did someone like me--who maintains much disdain for the pathetic political correctness that goes on at my institution--manage to make a rather pretty good living there for the past nearly thirteen years?

Pure luck. It has to be. On more than one occasion I have written editorials in the student newspaper and local paper that I am sure made some folks cringe. Yet, after the guest columns/letters to the editor were written I received nothing but kudos, some from people I know at this institution. The funny thing is the more you challenge my right to say what's on my mind, the more and louder I will say it.

I have been told on several occasions I should be careful, that one day I would push my luck.

The men who signed the Declaration of Independence pushed their luck too. If they were brave enough to do it, so am I.

1 comment:

  1. It's not worth it to duck your head and pretend to be somebody else for acceptance's sake, trust me on this one - it eats at your sould eventually. Hang tough, and you'll find the place that fits you, wherever youare truly meant to be. The wait will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete