Tuesday, October 31, 2006

John Kerry sucks...

Everybody's talking about it so I figured I would make mention. Today, the ever so eloquent John Kerry said:

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. And if you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

What was he thinking? HELLO? Does the man NOT have a PR person there (like Dan Quayle SHOULD have had years ago) to make sure he doesn't commit major FUBAR?

Many men and women join the military for a VARIETY of reasons. I joined when I turned 18 not because I was this grand heroic patrioc but because I was from a small country town, there were no jobs, I had no money to go to community college and my parents couldn't afford to send me, and I had no prospects for a good future without some sort of discipline, training and education. For me, the military served a purpose, it gave me discipline, it gave me training, and it made me a better person.

All day long I've been hearing talk radio hosts spouting that all the men and women who join do so because they are patriots. I disagree. I think people join for very personal reasons--to get away from home, to travel, to get a college education, to meet new people and have new adventures, to use big weapons, to get specialized training, the list goes on and on, and yes there are those who join because they want to kick enemy ass. Does it matter WHY they joined? ONly that they joined and they understand the risks, which I believe they do. You don't go through such rigorous training without knowing the risks.

Joining for reasons other than wanting to kick enemy ass doesn't make our service any less honorable does it? If course not! Our joining served a purpose, to us, to our service, and to our country. It gave to us, we gave to it. TO be honest, when I was 18, it was NOT my time for college, I was a good kid but not quite altogether in what I wanted to do with my life, show me an 18 year old that has their life planned out at that age and I'll tell you that is RARE! It wasn't till I became older that it became my "time" for college. I would not have benefitted from college twenty years ago like I am now. And part of that, a large part of it is the experiences I have been through which help me directly apply what I am learning in school.

I can't believe Kerry would actually imply that only the poor, uneducated, illiterate kids join the military (and then say "oh I was actually making fun of the President) The fact that the military is full of morons is UNTRUE! The Heritage Foundation came out with a report that states 98% of the people currently serving have higher educations than 75% of the overall US population.

Things that make you go hmmmm.....eh?

Regardless of what the Heritage Foundation or any other think tank says, I know the military is made up of all kinds of people from all backgrounds, who joined for all sorts of reasons. Right now joining the military is a CHOICE and while a person is serving they are gaining something for themselves and their country gains something from them. What's wrong with that?

John Kerry's freudian slip just came back to bite him in the ass and confirms what I already knew, that he is a jerk. I wonder if he just cost his party the election.

4 comments:

  1. I was so mad when I heard what he said!

    My son in law is in Iraq right now while John Kerry is no doubt sitting on his ass somewhere being waited on.

    aargh.

    How dare he.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/01/2006

    I'm in total agreement with you.

    And I certainly do hope it causes his party a great deal of harm in the election.--ST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, speaking as a strong democrat here, I have to say I was really disappointed in him for the statement he made. Jess said it perfectly, all types of people join the service for all kinds of reasons, but too many have died heroes...too many, for someone like John Kerry to berate. Shame on him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's said but we all say things that we regret later. On the other hand George W. does things he regrets later. I hate to say it, but I voted for the grand old party. Now, I'm glad the democratic party has a major hold on the house, and the senate.

    Happy double oooh seven to all of us, and our country.

    ReplyDelete