Sunday, November 26, 2006

Why men can't handle the family finances...

...because they don't want to. I'm sure of it.

My DH is a smart guy, he can handle the family finances if he wanted to but the few times I tried to show him how to use our credit union billpay system, he just refused to learn. He said it looked complicated. He knows who we pay and usually how much we pay. He knows where the bills are kept, but he just won't learn to actually pay them. I've known a lot of men like this so DH is not the only one. The big question is do they not do it because they really don't want to mess it up or because they just don't want to do it?

It reminds me of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Ray doesn't understand why Debra hates doing the family finances and he keeps talking about how easy it is and so she hands it over to him. What does he do? Oh he writes checks to pay the bills but doesn't balance the checkbook and doesn't reconcile the statement. He winds up $3,000 in the hole and tries to cover it up with a fake checkbook so Debra won't know.

It could be that DH knows I have a pretty good handle on it and he doesn't want to mess anything up and I can understand those feelings. However DH does slightly remind me of the character of Frank Barone (in more ways than one if you only knew). Now the character of Frank is a smart guy in his own right but he thinks the women should handle the "home" while the men do all the "hard" work.

Oh yeah as if "the home" wasn't hard work? LOL so who wants to relay that to my mother, my mother-in-law, and oh yeah--our grandmothers? Hmm....

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/28/2006

    I, too, am in charge of the checkbook. As a matter of fact, all of my other married girlfriends are as well.--ST

    ReplyDelete
  2. So have I...and for the past 40 years. It's strange really, it's not fun, it's a headache and can be a pain in the toochas at times, but it's the one way I can actually feel like I have some control over something in my life.

    Your Dad has already told me that if something happens to me, he doesn't care if they (the bills) get paid or not. What a frightening thought!!!

    ReplyDelete