Sunday, December 31, 2006

Just another memorable family moment...

It isn't as if I was looking forward to researching Medicare part B and D to get more information for my grandmother. I do these things cause I love her and because I felt I needed to be a dutiful granddaughter. Dad doesn't have the patience at times and mom doesn't have the time. Who else can maintain their head and do these things? Me. So when grams tells me that she can barely afford to pay the bimonthly premium of her Part B-supplemental insurance, the part that pays the 20% that her Part B doesn't pay, well it's up to me to figure out a new plan.

After having spent much time researching, and let me just say the government does NOT make it easy to research information on Medicare, I had to rely on non-profit private websites for my information, these sites are designed to help people maneuver through the muck the government throws out there for us to try and understand.

After all is said and done, after I did all that work, grams says "well I meant to tell you but I'm going to keep my supplemental and just keep paying the premiums".

Thanks for telling me! No, I'm not mad at her but if she had to go through what I went through to try and understand that stuff she'd understand why I wanted to pull my hair out. But see it's family and that's what you do, you pull your hair out when they drive you crazy. Family is allowed to do that to each other occasionally and in my family it's expected. It's kind of like if we go long periods of time without someone annoying someone else, it just isn't normal. And so I was annoyed and I'm better now.

At least I got a good lesson on Medicare. My parents turn 65 in five years, and I sure as hell will need to know all about it!

Oh yes and can I add something?

Folks, if someone close to you goes through a lot of hard work to prepare a delicious meal and well it is damn delicious but you don't care for parmesan cheese in your lasagna, could you not insult the cook by saying "oh it's good" and then add a "but I don't really care for the parmesan cheese" and not just mention it once but a half dozen times casually during the meal.

Not only is it insulting but it's rude, even if it is family to whom you are saying it. What makes it difficult is when it's someone you love dearly who makes the comment. I mean on one hand you don't want to offend the person, say it's a parent, you don't want to offend them by saying something and on the other hand you don't want to let it go because well, frankly, it's not right to do stuff like that.

In my family, my sister and my dad know how to tell it like it is. My mom and I are sometimes a little too easygoing although those who know us best know we have a side to us that lets loose occasionally. I can let loose at work but with my family, it's much more difficult. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, especially a member of my family who I care about.

When I first heard the remark at the table today I nearly choked on what would have been "what the f*ck?" if the remark hadn't been made by my grandmother, a wonderful, dear woman who at times can be very critical. I sometimes wonder if she knows she's doing it. You won't find a better grandmother, she's a real great person. But even really great, wonderful grandmothers can say and do things you don't agree with. Today I didn't say a word to grams about it but instead I complimented the cook cause oh HOT DAMN it was a great lasagna!

And in closing I just wanna give a big old Sicilian/Italian mamma-mia shout out to my awesome mamasita who cooked up yet another FANTASTIC friggin lasagna today. Oh and hey--I LOVED THE PARMESAN CHEESE!

1 comment:

  1. I can always count on you to make everything better. Guess that's one of the reasons I love you so much!!

    Your grandmother gave me another Maalox moment, but I'm had so many from her that I wasn't surprised.

    It's a wonder I have any Charmin left in the house!!!

    ReplyDelete