Sunday, December 31, 2006

Oh Lordy what did I get myself into?

Did you ever get this great idea for a project you've been meaning to do for awhile but have been putting off because you know it's long and drawn out? Well I have been meaning to rescan a ton of old photos my mom has and put them in albums instead of the boxes they've been in for years. Well this weekend, DH bought me ten albums at Hobby Lobby in Ocala and I filled all of them nearly completely with just photos of MINE. I have to get ten more of these acid and lignin free albums so I can put mom and dad's photos in it. Well I go to mom and dad's house today thinking I'd get a few albums. My mother comes out with a BOX of photos, a big box too. And that isn't all, there's MORE that I didn't even bring home.

I got them home and separated them into envelopes. All the "people" photos are separated by year and all the landscape, house, pet and car photos are separated by the content. I had about twenty envelopes when I was done. They will all be in albums but only the pet, people, and some of the landscape photos will be scanned. Eventually my hope is to have all the photos on a DVD and send to relatives but the original albums will be with mom and dad. Our photos in this family range from the 1880's to the current day. There are tons of them. Someone ahs to make sense of them, that'd be me. Dad asks me "so what's going to happen to these when we all die?" and I said "I have no idea". Honestly maybe we can donate them to some museum so they can see how the dysfunctional ones live I don't know. But hey, it's easier to share them if they are in albums. I found negatives today from the 1950's. There's a treasure of photos in these piles!!

As I spread the photos out tonight they were everywhere and I said OMG what the f*ck did I get myself into. DH laughs at me. But he understands see because he is re-archiving all his old stamps and coins and it has taken him a week just to take all the stamps out of their old albums. Right now our dining table is covered in stamps from all over the world, many very old and rare, and I am wondering when he'll finish it so we can get our table back!

Anyway wish me luck. Now I have to get the rest of the old photos from mom, scan and put them in albums and be done. I am getting ten more albums, each one holds 200, do ya think we have 2000 photos? Oh hell yeah!

3 comments:

  1. I don't have anymore photos here, which ones are you taking about, I gave you everything I had?

    Hey, they're having a Marx brothers marathon!! I'm like a pig in s--t!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/31/2006

    You and me girl! I scanned all my grandpa's pictures and put them on CD's for all of my mom's siblings. Now my Mom is after me to do hers. I will someday. I keep the originals and just give mom the CD's. That was her choice. I LOVE old pictures, even if I don't know the people.--ST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Holy Hell. That's the kind of project I daydream that I will eventually tackle.

    For now, though, it's boxes of crap...ummm, mementoes, I mean... stuffed under my bed... and time keeps rolling on...

    ReplyDelete