Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bush: "If the Iraqi government does not follow through on its promises, it will lose the support of the American people."

The President's speech is in two hours and mark my words, it's the same old thing, just a new year. And I'm not convinced that he would withdraw support if Iraq didn't come through as promised.

President Bush wants to send 20,000 more troops to Iraq. And he will because he has Congress by the -- well you know -- and he's got 'em good. There's no way they're going to stop funding the soldiers in Iraq because they don't want our boys dying by the thousands because they are left without supplies. No, they do not want that on their conscience or on their political record.

While I believe our troops have done much good in Iraq, I also believe that this war is in fact an open-ended war and that at some point years from now, we will have to hang our heads in shame and bring them home. I supported going into Iraq at the beginning because I was led to believe that Saddam Hussein had WMD's and intended to use them. While I believe he had them and they were moved in the years between wars while the UN pussyfooted around and taking their sweet time, I no longer believe Saddam was an immediate threat to our national security. Do I think terrorism is a threat? Oh hell yeah--but are we doing this right? I don't think so. Terrorists don't understand peace but are we doing the right thing by being in Iraq? I don't know! Sometimes I get so confused about why we are there and how I feel about it. And I am not the only one, many of you feel that way too.

We're losing something very important in this country, it's called "accountability". It's one of the most important things we have that keep we the people, not our politicians, in control. If we lose it, we're doomed. If we lose accountability, we lose freedom. As soon as our elected officials take the last bit of accountability from us, they know they can go forth and do whatever they wish because we will not have the power to stop them.

We have two choices, either pull out and bear the shame and embarassment of having lost the fight against the terrorists in Iraq (with dire consequences) or we can stick it out for many many years and lose many lives and in the end, we're all wondering why we did it (with dire consequences as well).

Option #1, pulling out and saying "hey we lost" isn't as easy as it sounds. We will be seen as weak and it will come back to haunt us. We will have thousands dead on both sides, and thousands more injured and what will have been gained by pulling out? Iraq will go back to the way it was and it really will all have been for nothing. But again, ask yourself what are we fighting for? We didn't go into Iraq to "free the people" or rebuild their government and infrastructure, so really what IS our mission?

Option #2, sticking it out for many years means we're in it for the long haul and those of you with young children or teens will have to face the possibility that they will be drafted eventually and sent to Iraq to fight a war their parents didn't even understand, a war that has no clear and defined enemy, and no clear agenda, at least not to the average American.

Sending thousands more troops to Iraq is not going to solve the problem which exists there. Hell, the guys we have there now have to follow these ridiculous rules of engagement. Who ever heard of rules when fighting terrorists? If we stay in Iraq and send more soldiers, then more terrorists will be there to greet them and the quagmire just gets worse. In the meantime, while our men and women are dying for a cause that many of us question more and more as this war goes on, people in important positions in our government are sitting pretty even though they knew the intel was misleading and yet they did NOTHING. Again, I will reiterate as I have time and time again that CIA Director George Tenet should have been held accountable for negligence in allowing this to take place under his watch. He knew the information was false and yet he was allowed to retire with full benefits and not so much as a slap on the hand. In my opinion there should have been a Congressional investigation.

Yeah right!

Bush and his generation of Congressional cronies will be retiring in a few years and my generation left to pick up the pieces of this heap of shit they left us. I like Bush because has the guts to stand up against the bad guys but I don't think he has the guts to admit a mistake. And sadly, at this moment, I think Iraq was a mistake. Every day I think about this and every day I fight with my conscience about it. And I konw I am not the only American who thinks this way.

This anger is not against the troops, their hard work or their sacrifice does not go unrecognized by me. This is about our government waging a war under the premise of false intelligence. Oh hell what am I saying? It isn't even a war, it's an occupation, a military action against terrorists-- an unidentifiable enemy with no structured army, no defined organization, no home country. And we're expecting our soldiers to win it with rules of engagement. Oy Vey!

As much as I believe in the power of the people, I am sad to say that at this moment in time, I believe there's nothing you and I can do about it. Congress does not have the guts to halt the funding and I can understand why--who wants to abandon our fighting men and women? Certainly not you and me. But Bush sure as hell isn't bringing our troops home so the only way to put a stop to this is to halt funding so that he has no choice. It won't happen, it just won't. That's because the President has Congress in a no-win situation.

The situation makes me angry and sad because I feel do helpless in this. I really feel as if the American people have absolutely NO say in this particular matter. I feel like the power of the American people over their government is slowly slipping away from us.

And that scares the hell out of me and it should scare the hell out of you too.

2 comments:

  1. We will never win the war in Iraq because it is a political war. We do not win political wars, we never have. Vietnam was a war run by politicians look what happened. Korea was a war run by politicians look what happened. Every thing has to be a police action well we are not policemen we need to stop the bull shit and take the country and run it the way we want to and not be afraid we are offending any one. Did you know that our Chaplains are not allowed to be called Chaplains because it would offend the Iraqis. they have to be called councillors. well thats another story. Point being if we are going to go to war then lets go to war kick there ass KILL the enemy win for a change and come home.

    ReplyDelete