Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The "ohhhhhh fuuuuuuuudge" moment of the day...

I live for problem solving. RedQueen asked me today if I could help find an answer to a dilemma she had and because I am quite a proficient "finder of lost (insert item here)" so it's only natural she should approach me with the dilemma. Prior to helping her solve her problem, I solved two other minor problems and I felt good about it. Simple problems that required thought, I handled them like a pro for someone who hasn't been at work for almost two weeks LOL!

Everything was going fine. And then...the "ohhhhh fuuuuuuudge" moment of the day.

Now..imagine this...a deadline approaching Thursday for some information needed by your department head for an upcoming once-every-ten-years departmental review and you spend days getting the info together and expecting only a half day to revise text, insert gathered data, print a hard copy and email the other to the department head.

Yes you print it out, put it on the DH's desk and then you try to email it and guess what?

It's not where you left it. It's NOWHERE on the computer!

It didn't happen to me directly although I did pull the data and sort through it. The casualty of war here is my boss, who also happens to be my friend and when I was in J's office casually asking him "did you send that info to T?" he said "not yet" and then proceeded to do it only to find that it wasn't on the computer, I wanted to cry, not for me, for him. He spent SO MUCH TIME putting this thing together for a departmental review and now it's gone. Thank goodness he found a much earlier revised copy we can work from. I assured him I would take care of it completely, he's going out of town for the rest of the week and I don't want him to worry. The hard copy has been submitted, but still we gotta get this in electronic form. So tomorrow I will be piecing the report together, revising, inserting the tables and all that.

Now if that doesn't qualify for the "ohhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuudge" of the day I don't know what does!

1 comment:

  1. The "ohhhhhh fuuuuuuuudge" moment??

    Hell, I have one of those every time I walk through the front gate at work.

    ReplyDelete