Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Just another Wednesday for me...

Yes I'm a Valentine's Day party pooper!

I'll admit I'm not much into special days like Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparents Day, Valentines Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, St. Patty's Day, President's Day, Groundhog Day, etc etc. I figure it's just not necessary. If I want to honor my mother, father, grandparents, husband, veterans who have served, workers and unions, my Irish roots, our past Presidents, and groundhogs, I'll just do it anytime I want...at my leisure. These "special" holidays are merely an advertising gimmick designed to guilt us into running up our credit cards with frivolous spending. Besides, I don't need one day to honor my loved ones---I can do it all year round. That's what this blog is for. I can say HEY MOM AND DAD, YOU ROCK and they're like "aww isn't she special?" and they write me into the will :D

I read today that the average man is expected to spend $156.22 on his Valentine this year while the average woman only spends $85.08.

Can you imagine that?

What could YOU spend $156.22 on? I could think of a thousand things!!

It reminds me of the commercial from either Kay or DeBeers advertising diamonds that says something like "isn't her love worth three month's salary?"

Uh--HELL NO!

In my household we're spending exactly $0 and I'm ok with that. Flowers die, balloons lose their helium and candy only puts back on my body the 53 pounds I've already lost. So while the thought is nice--if my husband spent $156.22 on me for Valentine's day, I'd kick him in the ass.

Wait---he might like that! :)

4 comments:

  1. OK, I have to agree with that, holidays have become too commercialized, but on the other hand, as long as your dad continues to give me beautiful cards for Valentine's Day, my Birthday, Christmas, etc , simply because he loves me, I'll keep on enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought chocolate for the husband and the son and baked brownies yesterday, that's it. The husband and son did nothing but tell me they love me. I'm fine with that.

    I like the way you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2/15/2007

    Robert and I don't buy Valentine's gifts either. For that fact, we don't do birthdays, anniversaries, or Christmas. We celebrate our love everyday. I should note, we do give the kids birthday and Christmas gifts. We just don't stress about doing for each other. It makes life so much more pleasant.--ST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2/19/2007

    $156.22........How much farther will that put me in the doghouse????

    ReplyDelete