Wednesday, March 21, 2007

If you want to stop the war, go to the source...

About 500 students walked out of class yesterday at 1 pm on a peace march across campus and down a very crowded thoroughfare, but not first without a detour to the University President's office to demand he speak out against the war and cease any research at UF which benefits the war. Then they decided to take the mass march on to the local National Guard office but they weren't allowed in there, so they were forced to take to the street outside, dodging in and out of traffic, making a mess of things.

I saw them march through the plaza outside my office window, it's great that they are taking advantage of their freedom of speech, but I wonder how many of them know who their senators or representatives are, that would be an interesting question wouldn't it? As some peacenik is shouting "death to Bush" maybe we could ask him who his state senator is....I expect to hear a "uh...uhh" yep.

Marching on the National Guard office....now what good does that do? Except anger the men and women who serve this country. If you want to make a difference, take a bus to Tallahassee or better yet to Washington DC, with about 10,000 students and march on the Capitol. Those are the people you want to harass, not our military men and women.

I'm all for marches, free speech, and all that good stuff, that's what America is all about. But doing it smart, doing it the right way, gets positive results.

2 comments:

  1. Amen.
    That's what I don't understand from those wanting peace, as if everyone else doesn't. When they say death to whoever, how peaceful is that?
    And you're right, the ignorance of the electorate as to elected officials is mindblowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they're protesting. I would have too, if it hadn't been for the fact that back in the 60's my parents would have killed me!

    ReplyDelete