Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My first college scholarship...

You'd think a student as good in academics as I am would receive scholarships but the problem is that I just don't fit the criteria for them. Many of them are for those just out of high school and students who live in Alachua or Bradford counties, art, science and math majors, disabled students, veterans disabled in action, children of disabled veterans, single mothers, etc. I don't fit the profile of any of them. No scholarships for the out of county, non-traditional age student, 37 year old career woman studying history, married, no kids, and a 3.4 GPA.

What's a gal to do?

Well I applied for student loans to see if I would qualify and I did but I declined them. I'm not going to take advantage of those low interest federal loans until I absolutely need them. But I did find out today that I received two $300 scholarships, one for fall 06, one for spring 07. The check's already in the mail!

I have found some scholarships on Fastweb I think I will apply for, mostly to help with books and supplies as I get a tuition waiver from my employer.

But still it was so cool to find out I actually qualified for a scholarship! Imagine that!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!
    Check with professional business womens organizations - they frequently give scholarships for returning 'older' women.
    I was a member of ABWA and that's who we awarded scholarships to.

    ReplyDelete