Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Nikki Giovanni? A poet? More like a publicity whore!

I wanted this post to have its own title separate from my other post about the weight loss. This deserves it's own title.

So-called poet and VT professor Nikki Giovanni's political diatribe had no business in the midst of a memorial for the victims.

“We are Virginia Tech. We are sad today and we will be sad for quite awhile. WE are not moving on, we are embracing our mourning. We are Virginia Tech. We are strong enough to know when to cry and sad enough to know we must laugh again. We are Virginia Tech. We do not understand this tragedy. We know we did not deserve it but neither does a child in Africa dying of AIDS, but neither do the invisible children walking the night to avoid being captured by a rogue army. Neither does the baby elephant watching his community be devastated for ivory; neither does the Appalachian infant in the killed in the middle of the night in his crib in the home his father built with his own hands being run over by a boulder because the land was destabilized. No one deserves a tragedy. We are Virginia Tech. The Hokier Nation embraces our own with open heart and hands to those who offer their hearts and minds. We are strong and brave and innocent and unafraid. We are better than we think, not quite what we want to be. We are alive to the imagination and the possibility we will continue to invent the future through our blood and tears, through all this sadness. We are the Hokies. We will prevail, we will prevail. We are Virginia Tech. "

The word poet is used so LOOSELY in America today. I've read Nikki Giovanni, she's no poet. Nikki Giovanni is the result of political correctness gone wild thanks to radical feminists. Nikki Giovanni is just another attempt at multiculti at American's institutions of higher education.


Oy vey!

3 comments:

  1. Harold March4/18/2007

    *whew*
    I was truly beginning to think I was perhaps the only person in the country not to have totally taken leave of my senses, heaping endless praise on that shameless, self-serving speech.

    Throwing in all that political bunk into a memorial speech was just TACKY and tasteless, and part of the whole "ME, ME, I, I" generation that rarely if ever thinks of anything but itself.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one that found that bit thrown in to be absolutely pathetic. At the end, she gave some sort of grotesque "victory stance" or whatever you call it, that was as if she was saying "Look at ME, I'm getting attention and I got to spew my political views on national TV, and that's all I really care about."

    No one deserves a tragedy? Sheesh, that's the kind of obvious PAP paraded about as "deeeeeep insight" that passes for intellect these days.

    How about, no one who suffers a tragedy deserves shameless self-promoters turning it into their own shameless publicity stunt.

    That's the "ME" gen for you, in a nutshell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, see, I liked her. I really liked the uplifted feeling I could see in the kids in the audience after she spoke. Then, after the quiet playing of Amazing Grace, they broke into a school cheer.

    I seem to have pissed everyone off with my apparent ignorance of the Muslim Imam's rude behavior. Maybe I need some diversity training classes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Harold Marsh

    So who exactly is part of the "ME" generation you're talking about?

    ReplyDelete