Tuesday, July 31, 2007

RIP Bill Walsh...



















Bill Walsh coached the 49ers from 1979-1989. It was during this time, about 1985 that I became fascinated with professional football and became a 49ers fan. I have fond memories of those high school years staying up late with grams on Monday nights watching 49er games, writing about their games in the school newspaper, following the careers of many of the players, and even having met a few of them when they visited military base when I was stationed in Hawaii many years back. I was a huge Joe Montana fan for years and when he and Coach left the team, for me it was like breaking up a family. Oh sure there were other fabulous players who were awesome and I followed their careers but for me it was never the same.

I didn't know Bill Walsh but he coached an extraordinary team during a time in my life that I will never forget. I learned about football by watching 49er games, I appreciated the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat by watching the Niners win and lose under his leadership. I was fortunate enough to be witness to one of the greatest teams that ever played the game under the leadership of one of the greatest coaches to ever coach the game.

RIP Coach, you'll be missed.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/01/2007

    San Franfrico, isn't that were hey are outting that packers museum?

    ReplyDelete