Thursday, September 13, 2007

Navigating the educational bureaucracy

I received a great compliment today. Without going into detail about the whole sordid mess, I helped one of my students get through the bureaucratic muck that is otherwise known as an institution of higher learning. And when he left my office I said "gotta have faith in the system eh?" and he said "I have faith in you".

That made me feel good. I worked long and hard to fix his problem. It took contacting at least four other departments and working together to resolve the situation. Finally, it worked. I pride myself in my problem-solving skills, and I am quite sure my students are thankful they have me. They are my extended family and I try to treat them as I would want to be treated if I were in their shoes. Make no mistake about it, a large university is just like government, there's a lot of red tape and it takes a lot of work at times to get even the simplest problem solved.

I suppose you could call it job security.

No comments:

Post a Comment