Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"You didn't tell me"

A student tells me he can't get his cap and gown because he was informed he's not on the graduation list. He's all upset. When I quizzed him, it turns out he didn't apply to graduate. I said "how could you forget?" and he replied "I didn't know. You told me I was ok to graduate."

Woah Nelly......yes and no. You were ok to graduate because you met requirements but in the email I sent you at the beginning of the term it included a statement reminding you to apply for the degree.

During the course of our conversation, he reminded me a few times that I told him he was ok. And I reminded him again that he HAD TO KNOW he had to apply for the degree, I mean I can't for the life of me understand how a person who just got an undergraduate degree (and applied for it at that time) couldn't know he had to go through the same process for the graduate degree.

I have no problem helping someone who goofed. I mean, shit happens, who of us hasn't screwed up from time to time? But I do have a problem being blamed for someone else's lack of common sense.

This is why I just can't work in higher education for the rest of my life. It's not just the politics, but there are so many college students out there spending all this money on education and have absolutely no common sense. There are students who expect the "system" to remind them, take care of them, do things for them. I'm sorry, but that's not my job. I am not a caretaker, babysitter, or your mommy. It's enough that I have to run my own life and barely have time for that, no way in hell am I going to take over running yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment