Saturday, January 26, 2008

PSA: The IRS does NOT send you email!!

Guess it's time to do some community service here with a PSA. Anytime I can save some poor schmo from being duped, I take the opportunity to do just that. I received not one but three emails today to my hotmail account from the "Internal Revenue Service" at IRS.ORG with the subject line Internal Revenue Service Online Refund Form. Of course I already knew it was a scam, because first of all the IRS doesn't send emails asking you to file online and second the official IRS site is IRS.GOV.


After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $375.20. Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-9 days in order to process it. A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.To access the form for your tax refund, click here.
Even though the linked page at malibu702.com looks like the IRS website and even uses the IRS logo, it is not, I repeat, NOT the IRS website. But some poor schmuck isn't going to realize that and is going to attempt to file online using personal information which will be logged and stolen by the people who run the fake site. I reported the emails to the IRS who has folks who track down and shut down phishing scams. But maybe this post will help somebody. That's why I've put it here...

If you receive one of these emails, go here to the real IRS site and report the scam!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1/27/2008

    I just have to believe if criminals spent as much effort in a career as they do in trying to cheat someone, they would be highly successful people.--ST

    ReplyDelete