Saturday, May 10, 2008

CBS Radio Mystery Theater...

is one of my favorite radio programs!

It was originally broadcast from 1974-1982 and hosted by the great E.G. Marshall from 74-81. The actors who played the starring roles were a mix of well-known to somewhat known actors, some from films and others from the golden age of radio. Many like Paul Gwynne, Celeste Holm, Mercedes McCambridge, Agnes Moorhead and Paul Hecht (just to name a few) had recurring roles!

I never knew about this show until last year. I was downloading a few hundred old time radio shows from the OTR archive site where there are literally thousands of old time radio programs which have been preserved and archived for posterity. There were 1,399 original CBS Radio Mystery Theatre programs.

Right now as I am blogging (and doing some studying in-between LOL), I am listening to "Trial for Murder" broadcast October 24, 1977 and taken right from the story originally written by Charles Dickens and his son-in-law Charles Collins. It was the only mystery Dickens ever wrote.

Click on CBS Radio Mystery Theater above and you'll be directed to the listing of shows on the internet archive site. You can also do a search for show downloads on google and you will find more independent sites which have collected shows as well.

Enjoy! Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/13/2008

    Hello Jess -

    I grew up listening to Mystery Theater and I am thrilled to have found M3P format versions. I love radio drama and often listen online to BBC radio. But since I have such vivid memories attached to MT, this is going to be a real treat. FYI - I read that Sarah Jessica Parker was in one episode, The Child's Cats Paw, May 17, 1977, she was 12. Cheers -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess!

    CBSRMT is a great show! I am a big fan of audio drama also. My suggestion is that you also try an ABC series from the 60's called "Theater Five." It's a half-hour anthology series in the same vein as CBSRMT.

    Fred Foy, famous as the announcer for The Lone Ranger, serves as announcer for this series. If you go to Archive.org and type in Theater Five, you should be able to find episodes of the show.

    By the way, if you remember the TV cartoon series "Speed Racer," there are a number of Theater Five episodes that feature Peter Fernandez, who voiced Speed in the original series.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete