Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gitmo

That's what we military folks call Guantanamo Bay. In reference to the Supreme Court's recent decision regarding the detainees there, I disagree with them but hey I'm just your average citizen. What do I know? It's just my opinion anyway. The SC is interpreting the law, so am I, so are you, and we're all reading it differently aren't we?

Click on Ex Parte Quirin which is a precedent setting case from 1942. It's worthy reading. There's more out there going much farther back, but start with that one.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you think that the Supreme Court justices have more knowledge of these issues than you and I do? I think that it is wrong to define current situation by precedents that are 60 years old. Every situation is different. During the 40s the American army was also setting up concentration camps for the Japanese citizens and I don't think that we should follow that precedent and do the same with the Muslim citizens of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yawn....Thanks for visiting Vadim, can I go back to sleep now.

    Just because I'm not a Supreme Court Justice doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the matter. Lawyers and judges aren't the "be all, end all" ya know!

    Who is talking about concentration camps here? Sure wasn't me.

    I'm sorry but these terrorists and their helpers should have ZERO protection under the law. They are NOT US Citizens and as such they are not entitled to the same rights and privileges. Do you really think you'd have the same rights as an Iraqi if you were in the reverse position?

    Hardly. You wouldn't have been plaecd in a detention camp.

    You'd be dead.

    ReplyDelete