Thursday, July 17, 2008

Tell us something we didn't know...

As this article states, former UF PhD student in Management, Erin Fluegge Woolf did some research as part of her dissertation and concluded that employees allowed to have a little fun on the job not only accomplished more work but showed a higher level of creativity and were more willing to help their coworkers.

I wholeheartedly agree with her conclusions. I am glad my work environment is such that we joke, laugh, have office parties and talk to one another on a daily basis. We also have a casual dress code outside the classroom. I love my job, my coworkers, students and the department as a whole, because it's like family and when you feel like part of a family you are happier and you function better. Take that away and turn employees into robots and productivity goes way down as does morale. Morale and productivity go hand in hand.

Right now on many parts of campus, morale is low. We can thank the budget cuts, bad supervisors, a President who I would is practically invisible to the staff on campus, and a whole host of other things. What we need is morale.

I say kudos to Dr. Woolf on her research and hopefully what she revealed to us will make its way to the highest levels of our institution as a wakeup call.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/17/2008

    Be happy the Pres isn't hanging around. Who knows what kind of stupid ideas he could come up with if he actually showed up;) ST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been fortunate enough to have some pretty good morale at most of the places I've worked. I did have a couple where that was not the case and the difference is striking. These things seem like common sense, but to be utilized properly, management must have a clue. That was usually the issue where I saw low morale. Hopefully those with even a bit of concern for their employees will take heed of studies like this one.

    FMD

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the nine unforgettable years I spent my working hours in Criser Hall and the Hub, the only morale booster we had was when someone told us we could close down for the day. Now, it was totally different working for Housing in the Jennings/Towers Area, as we had the students to liven up our otherwise dull and lackluster existences. When you have your RA's coming to your office, still in their jammies and eating their rice krispies every morning its kind of like home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, this seems like one of those things that shouldn't have ahd to have a research study to prove...

    ReplyDelete