Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Can someone tell me how I am disadvantaged?

One of the women at the DNC today (I heard her but can't remember who it was right off hand) made a speech and she said there are policies in place which hurt working women and families. Can anyone tell me what those policies are? Because frankly, as a working woman I don't feel disadvantaged. I feel I have many opportunities, not because I am a woman but because I live in America.

Here are some of the many women I know....you tell me if they sound disadvantaged. And oh by the way none of these women are rich, none come from wealthy families, none are married to wealthy men, none have famous rich connections. What they did, they did on their own for themselves, by themselves, with moral support from family and friends of course.

Deb has a Master's degree and a great job, she's intelligent and successful and yearns to eventually start her own business. She also raised a fantastic son.

Jeanette was in the Air Force for four years, she eventually married and she has a great job where she works the hours she wants to work!

Connie doesn't have a college degree but she started young doing hair, eventually she worked in a salon and for the past decade she has owned her own salon and is doing great.

Jennifer has a Masters Degree and is currently teaching economics to undergraduate students.

Nicole has a Bachelor's degree and is a police officer.

Kaley is a nurse making great money and working on her Masters Degree.

Cindy is a highly trained nurse who has worked in many places around the country as part of the Traveling Nurse program.

Valarie has a college degree, works in public relations and raises two kids while being married to a military man.

Samantha Alice enlisted in the Army in her thirties and is working on getting her Masters Degree and counseling soldiers.

Kelly is a single mom working on her Bachelor's degree while raising some awesome kids.

Sara finished her Masters degree and is working as a civilian for the US Navy.

Diana is a retired college professor, married with children and grandchildren, who works in advocacy fighting for autism awareness as well as many other worthy causes.

My mom didn't go to college, she made choices that took her in another direction. You may sometimes hear her say she wished she'd gone to college but you'll never hear her say she regrets her decisions which were getting married and taking care of dad and three kids!

My sister hasn't been to college and don't know if she will ever make it and she has struggled through many life altering events and many jobs, but you will never hear her blame her struggles on someone else, she always says it's because of the choices she made.

Susan is a stay at home mom for the past 20 years, has three great kids and not a day goes by she isn't happy about the choice she made in taking care of her family first.

Stephanie is a former military wife, stay at home mom with four kids (one is special needs), a husband and she's just begun her own photography business from home.

One of my cousins, Deb, is older than me by two years, she has a husband and three teenage children, and she is back in school just like me, working on her Bachelor's degree and wants to be a teacher.


I know many who have chosen to be stay at home moms because that was more important to them than a career outside the home. I know women who are retired who never went to college (but wished they had) but never do I hear them say it's someone else's fault. I also know women who don't have kids who are in the workforce and love what they do. I know women who made the choice to take care of their families early and when the kids were older, the moms went back to school or to work or started their own business.

I know a lot of women (as you do) who might say "I wish I'd done this" or "I wish I'd done that" I mean who of us hasn't said that? We're only human for crying out loud--every decision can't be perfect. But smart women don't blame their situation on someone else because when it comes down to it, with some exceptions, most of us have the ability to make our own choices and we are responsible for our actions and are capable of understanding the consequences.

So for any highly intelligent, college educated woman, such as the old tired broads at the DNC, to talk about women being disadvantaged in America, I find it highly offensive. The women who came before us gave great sacrifices to bring change that made our lives so much easier today, we owe them by not whining and complaining about how men are holding us back.

If you're being held back, if you feel disadvantaged, it's your own damn fault.

2 comments:

  1. You have the right idea and speaking for myself, I agree with what you've stated. I could have gone to college many years ago, but it was my decision not to, and there isn't a day that goes by when I even think I made a mistake. MY family is my life and that's how I want it. If I ever decide to take a course, your dad will be the best cheering section I could ever have, after you, that is. Disadvantaged? I don't think so,actually I think I'm damned lucky to be just where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/27/2008

    What a great post! I couldn't agree with you more.

    This is America, the land of opportunity. People would do well to remember that instead of trying to stir up envy.

    I have been able to live my dream. I've been blessed with a wonderful marriage. I have been able to raise and educate my children. I have the freedom of religion and speech. My biggest fear is that people start taking these freedoms for granted and let them slowly slip away from us.

    Jess, you are a great advocate for women everywhere.--ST

    ReplyDelete