Friday, August 15, 2008

I'm convinced part II...

that I need a makeover. Not anything drastic. Just enhancing the me that is already here. Making the me that I am----better.

Folks, I have no fashion sense. Ok maybe a little, I like jeans with tee shirts, jeans with sweaters, jeans with loafers, comfortable shoes, soft socks. I don't wear makeup, haven't worn it in years, well sometimes I do, but really most of the time I don't. I don't wear jewelry either. Don't care for dresses or heels either. And oh yeah..... I wear white after Labor Day. I still can't figure out why that's not ok especially in the south where it's friggin hot. Who cares what you wear after Labor Day?

I'm just tired of hiding under the same old shit. I don't want a fancy hairstyle that is a bitch to maintain, I don't want a whole new wardrobe or a toolbox full of makeup. I just need to figure out what looks good on me. I'm tired of wearing jeans and sweaters or jeans and long sleeve button up shirts open over v-neck shirts underneath. Isn't there anything better? I wish I could get a makeover, I mean someone to really help me figure out what looks good on me, how I should wear stuff, and work with me as I lose weight.

Guess as I get closer to 39, I'm just tired of being overlooked, the girl nobody notices (oh yes they say she's got a great smile and a great personality, but sometimes we need more than that!). I'm tired of being the one who hides behind everyone in the room.

I know it's more than a makeover, starts with attitude and I'm working on that. Let's put it this way---I feel like I'm in an old "black and white" film.

Am I making sense?

5 comments:

  1. You're making alot of sense, you've got a mother who has the same problem. But you're younger and there's still hope!

    We've gotten into this comfort zone, it's comfortable, safe and secure...and it won't be the easiest thing to do for you to break out of it, but you're stubborn enough and determined enough to do it. Look...you wanted to go back to school and you did it, didn't you? Well, you can do this too. I wish there was a way we could get you one of those free total makeovers that you see on tv.

    Just remember, you weren't always like this. Up to about 5-6 years ago you still dressed for work and even wore jewelry and make-up. I don't know why things changed. I even recall you wearing heels and dresses to work! And so did I!

    OK, now you need to do some more thinking about this. Just remember I support you 100% and I'll help you in any way I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're thinking Vin has something to do with this, actually it's the opposite. He thinks I am great the way I am and if I want to change he's fine with that. At least I don't feel like I have to do this for HIM! A lot of women feel like they have to do this for their husbands, no this is for me.

    As to heels, I hate heels, they're not good for your feet anyway, never were. I hated wearing them in the past, but thought that's what we women were supposed to do. As to dresses, they aren't practical, they're uncomfortable and I HATE PANTY HOSE. As I got older I got smarter and said "screw that" no way, no more!

    I guess I just decided to give up on the makeup and jewelry, I mean what's the point? Why try to look nice? Where am I going?

    I do think it's about that comfort zone you speak of, I like comfort and love being casual. I am not a dressy person and don't want to be. I want to be casual but have a little "color", hopefully I'm still making sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jess,

    First of all, there are a lot of fabulous things about you. If you want to make some changes, great. All you need to do is get started. Like your Mom says, when you set a goal, you always achieve it.

    Get out from behind the computer. You can't do this online.

    Besides, I've been trying to call you all morning and your line is busy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was no thought of Vinny as being the reason for this at all. I just remember it's been about 5-6 years. Remember, you lived here and I remember how you looked, with the morning and evening jogs, eating healthy, etc.

    Red Queen is right, listen to her.I'll just stay out of it and love you ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/17/2008

    First of all you are beautiful. Inside and out. I can totally relate to the whole make over thing. Sometimes I want to do the same thing. I on the other hand would love a whole new wardrobe. New clothes make me feel wonderful.

    I agree with the dress thing. I hate them. They are not comfortable and are very difficult with a handicapped child. I have actually started wearing dress pants to church. You can find some really stylish pants suits these days.

    I also gave up on jewelry. I don't know why. I see lots of people wearing really cool fashion jewelry and I think about wearing it again, but it just doesn't seem like me anymore.

    Make up? I can't leave home without it. I feel so much better when I wear it and it only takes about 5 minutes to put it on.

    Anytime you want to go shopping I'm game.--ST

    ReplyDelete