Sunday, August 24, 2008

My pal Jennifer and I worked late Thursday evening, I on last minute preparations for the barrage of new grad students and she on her course syllabi and preparation for teaching yet another few hundred clueless undergrads beginning Monday. We had a nice talk, one which led to our futures and what to do with our lives. She finished her MS and is lecturing now, to undergrads and she said she never realized how hard teaching is, and of course the conversation swayed towards my direction and the big question about what I'm going to do with my life.

I told Jenn about the Institute for Justice also known as IJ (www.ij.org) and the great work the organization does on behalf of the American people. If you don't know what they're about, you should because one of these days you might need them. The IJ is the only non-proft libertarian public interest law firm in the United States.

IJ's mission: "we engage in cutting-edge litigation and advocacy both in the courts of law and in the court of public opinion on behalf of individuals whose most basic rights are denied by the government--like the right to earn an honest living, private property rights, and the right to free speech, especially in the areas of commercial and Internet speech. As Wired magazine said, the Institute for Justice “helps individuals subject to wacky government regulations.”

Their areas of expertise:

Economic liberty - challenges to occupational licensing regulations and government-created monopolies

School choice - defending parents’ use of vouchers and tax credits

Property rights - defending against unjustified takings of private property by the government in such areas as eminent domain abuse and civil forfeiture

Free speech - defending the right to speak about politics and commerce.

That's the kind of organization I'd love to work for because what they do is good, honest, decent work. They work on behalf of Americans for the cause of freedom. What could be better? It is a shame that in this country we have to have organizations that work to protect us from constitutional abuses by government but sadly, the larger the government, the more frequent the abuses. I first learned about IJ watching 60 Minutes several years ago when they were running the story about the eminent domain abuse cases in Connecticut and Ohio, just to name a few. I wrote a research paper about eminent domain abuse and IJ was a fountain of information for me. After that I became a huge fan of IJ because of the kind of work they do to help their fellow Americans.

If I ever went to law school it would be to do work like this, what great research and litigation skills one would need. Jenn thinks I'd make a great "mouthpiece" LOL yeah I guess I would eh? But even if I just go to grad school and specialize in an area of history, I think I'll include some kind of Constitutional studies too. I think it's important to understand not just the who, what, when and how but also the WHY.

Come Monday I'll be starting three more courses and ending my final term of my first two years of college, which has actually taken me four years, but it's been well worth it. I hope I can kick ass at UF in January as much as I've kicked ass these last four years.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you could make such a difference working for the IJ, I think it just could be your calling in life.

    As for your classes, you'll be fine! And you'll kick ,I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...you'll kick ASS is what I was trying to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8/25/2008

    The Institute for Justice could really use your passion and intelligence. That would really be an exciting career. Not to mention your love of helping others.

    I'm proud of all the hard work you've put into your education. It's tough to be a wife, full time empolyee, and an "A" student. -- ST

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky to find work that utilizes so many of your passions!

    ReplyDelete