Monday, January 05, 2009

Forced unions...

Call me ignorant because I had no idea that there were states which had laws making it legal for companies with union contracts to refuse to hire an employee unless they joined the union and fire an individual if they lapse in their union dues.

I never heard of this, maybe because in Florida that doesn't exist.

Can you imagine a government entity backing this? Regardless of the pros and cons, the one reason I believe it's in existence is because the union in said states greases the palms of the politicians who favor the law. That's all it is.

It's disgraceful. I'd love a case like this to go before the Supreme Court.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/07/2009

    Oh wow, I didn't know it existed either. I don't see how that can be legal.~ST

    ReplyDelete
  2. ST took the words right out of my mouth, I can't believe this is really allowed. I come from a family of strong union people, but they would never go along with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Joyce

    http://www.videophonesguide.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive me for chiming in late, but I would suspect that anyone who is not aware of this has always lived here in Florida or worked in a non-union industry. It is very common to require union membership in many industries in many parts of this country.

    After years with the ILGWU, my father moved to Florida and opened his won non-union shop. He was immediately blackballed and lost his pension.

    Despite that, unions provide some very real benefits (and can be subject to very real corruption). They are fodder for some very interesting debate.

    ReplyDelete