Friday, April 24, 2009

Shady Pines Ma!!!

Famous last words spoken by Dorothy Zbornak to her mother Sophia in many episodes of "The Golden Girls". It's hard to believe the first episode aired 24 years ago when I was just 15 years old. They came into our home every Saturday night and Grams and I would sit and watch laughing hysterically!

I loved the girls, they way they laughed, I loved the stories they told, the way they dressed, I just loved everything about them. When they first aired, I was already quite familiar with Bea and Rue from their "Maude" days and Betty of course, who could forget her as the slutty Sue Ann Niven in the "Mary Tyler Moore" show? The more I watched them, the more attached I became. It didn't take long for me to rate it my favorite comedy and it still is all these years later.

I've taken that "which Golden Girl are you" test a dozen times and every time I come out being Dorothy. No matter what I do, I'm still Dorothy, so I learned to love it. Dorothy had her own style, she was a little self-conscious but she had her own beat that only she moved to, and she was ok with that. She was the cautious one, the one who second-guessed everything and always gave good advice to others.

Estelle was the first to leave us and that was so sad. And now Bea, and it is a great loss. It feels like a part of my own family has died. That's a great actor, the one that can make you feel like they are a part of your family. I wished these girls would live forever because as long as they lived, I stayed young. Losing them reminds me I'm getting old.er because when I think of them, it takes me back to the days when I was just a teenager in high school. My parents were in their 40's, my grandparents in their 60's, we were all young, life was good.

I've often said I don't want to grow old alone. If I found myself facing that, I'd want to move into a house in a city much like Miami--as it was back then that is--with with three of my closest friends so we could share our laughter and tears together. Because you see, I'd like to think that there's a little "Golden Girl" in all of us.

RIP Bea, we'll miss you.

4 comments:

  1. Matt and I loved the Golden Girls, too! (My favorite was Rose.) Matt, however, might have loved them a bit more than me though! In fact, he loved them so much he didn't want to go on his Boy Scout camp outs because it meant he had to miss Golden Girls! (If only there was DVR back then!) We were both a bit sad yesterday when we learned of Bea's death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that is TOO funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about this on the radio over the weekend. I wasn't a big fan, but I remember when I was in High School I'd channel surf during the summer and watched a few episodes. She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4/27/2009

    I loved all the Golden Girls. Betty White is still my favorite, although I'm always Dorothy in the online quiz.~ST

    ReplyDelete