Friday, May 08, 2009

What a day!

Today was a good day. I am so damn tired though. My back hurt from all that carpet shampooing and repotting of plants I did today. It was a busy day, began with Lowe's. You see, I only went there to get mom's sink after which I was to do my grocery shopping at Publix. But while at Lowe's I spent over an hour perusing the birdfeeders, plants, and hanging baskets aisle and walked out with a bunch of flowers, some caladiums, birdfeeder and pots, then when I got it all in the car (it took me a good 15 minutes to arrange everything just so) then I realized "oh shit I have to get the sink and still go grocery shopping". No problem I say, I can make this work. I mean after all, I once learned how to pack everything I ever owned into a seabag, I know I can do this.

I went into the store, get the sink and then upon getting it out to the car, I realize I have to take everything out of the trunk, none of which is mine by the way. Let's see there's the battery recharger that Vin put in there which has never actually worked when we wanted to help someone start their car. Then there's the backpack full of survival gear which is supposed to be in the car at all times. This you see, is in case a nuclear bomb hits and we have to walk home, we'll have the necessary provisions to make it home. Then there's the kitty litter container which doesn't contain kitty litter, but actually contains things for the car like oil, power steering fluid, etc. And then there's the toolbox with all kinds of---well---tools. So you see, with all that stuff, it's a little difficult to just throw this huge box in there. So there I am in the Lowe's parking lot, taking everything out of the trunk, putting this huge box in there and then attempting to place everything back in the trunk where it would fit. Surprisingly it did.

It's kinda funny because people have said "damn Jess you got everything but the kitchen sink" but this time I really did get the kitchen sink. Ok, bad attempt at a joke but what can I say?

I finally went shopping and figured the lack of space in the car, which was essentially down to the front passenger seat, would encourage me not to spend so much at Publix.

Wrong. Somehow without even buying much I spent $222 and change. I bought stuff for breakfasts and lunches and a few snacks and a few things for dinner. No sweets, fatty foods or processed stuff and still I walked out spending only $30 less than normal.

When I got out to the car I looked at the empty front seat and then the ten bags in my basket and thought "how in the hell....?" but the young guy named Daniel who had been singing in Hebrew in between choruses of "If I were a rich man" and "Matchmaker" from Fiddler on the Roof, while bagging my groceries,....by the way WHO whistles the tunes from Fiddler on the Roof anyway? I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure what he'd think of me in that I recognized them. Everyone else probably thought he was just loony.

Anyway, Tevye...I mean Daniel, managed to get everything in the car for me and then me and my car full of groceries and plants and oh yes...the kitchen sink, headed for home while I hummed loudly a tune or two from...you guessed it...Fiddler on the Roof.

My mother would be proud.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5/10/2009

    I'm proud. I probably would have thought the young man was looney. Remind me never to play you in trivial pursuit.

    I've been sucked into the whole plant thing too. Flowers add so much. I know you will enjoy them, even if you can't move;)

    ReplyDelete