Monday, July 20, 2009

Cliff Stearns on health care...

Recently I wrote to Congressman Cliff Stearns about my concerns over the proposed Health Care Reform Act. Below is his response. I've always been able to count on Cliff Stearns to be an upstanding guy and do the right thing and his response is fine example of that...

Thank you for contacting me regarding affordable health care for all Americans. I appreciate hearing from you and having the benefit of your views.

As health care costs continue to rise and small business owners and self-employed people are finding individual health care too expensive, I support real reforms that will provide universal access to health care for all Americans. I don't support a government-run, one size fits all health care plan where medical decisions are made by Washington bureaucrats not by doctors. I strongly believe that any health care reform must let Americans who like their health care coverage keep it, and give all Americans the freedom to choose the health plan that best meets their needs. To ensure this Members of Congress must protect Americans from being forced into a new government-run health care plan that would eliminate the health coverage that more than 100 million Americans currently receive through their job.

I support universal care and access for all Americans. I believe we need a health care system that is transparent, portable, and does not preclude individuals with pre-existing conditions. I favor allowing insurers licensed in one state to sell to individuals in the other 49 states creating competition and greater choice which will drive down costs. In addition, I support Health Information Technology (HIT) to make the delivery of care more efficient. Finally, I support medical justice reform that will cap non-economic damages arising from any medical malpractice lawsuits at $250,000, reducing the cost of providing quality medical care. As a member of the Energy and Commerce Committee with jurisdiction over this issue, rest assured I will keep your thoughts in mind and continue to fight for efficient, affordable, and quality health care for all Americans.

Furthermore, the Department of Defense (DOD) estimates that active duty military and their dependents will make up 43% of Tricare beneficiaries in 2010. Thirty-five percent of beneficiaries will be retirees under age 65 and their dependents, and 22% will be retirees age 65 and over and their dependents. Furthermore, DOD estimates that care provided to retirees and their dependents will make up over 65% of DOD health care costs by 2015, up from 43% in 1999. Please be assured that as Congress considers healthcare legislation, I will ensure that Tricare is protected.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If I can be of any further assistance on this or another federal matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

With kind regards, I am


Sincerely,


Cliff Stearns
United States Representative

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/21/2009

    I always vote for Cliff Stearns and he has never let me down. I find that he is always forthcoming with his opinions and has a good grasp of the issues when I contact him. We need more politicians like Cliff Stearns!~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Susan I agree, he's always been pretty upstanding and level-headed. I liked that he wants to do something about the problems in the health care system but not overhaul it completely. There are things that need a little tweaking but they don't need replacement.

    ReplyDelete