Wednesday, August 05, 2009

UF turns Big Brother...

In an effort to become healthier and cleaner, UF will ban tobacco on its main campus beginning in July, joining over 100 campuses across the U.S. that have already gone smoke free.

(By the way, the linked article states tickets will not be given out but employees may face consequences from their supervisors which includes getting negative remarks on performance evaluations!)


and


As of Nov. 1, the use of cigarettes or other tobacco products in any of the Health Science Center, Shands or UF Physicians buildings and parking lots, or in vehicles in these areas, will not be permitted. UF plans to implement the policy on its main campus in July 2010.

“The decision to have tobacco-free campuses systemwide supports our commitment to providing a healthy environment for our patients and to improving health in our communities,” said Tim Goldfarb, chief executive officer of Shands HealthCare. “We not only provide outstanding medical treatment and patient care, but also work hard to promote wellness and disease prevention.”


Nope, I don't like it at all. I don't smoke, never have. But...if I did I'd be pissed off that UF thinks it can tell me that I can't smoke in my own car. Frankly, my health isn't anyone's business but my own. And so long as a person smokes far enough from others where it cannot be smelled or inhaled by others and so long as they don't toss their butts on the ground, I don't give a damn how often or where they smoke!!!

By the way, do you think the alum who travel to UF for Gator football games and make a mess tailgating all over campus are going to not smoke while they're here? Yeah, right!

2 comments:

  1. I hope those alumni RIP THEM A NEW ONE. What the heck is going on..and when will we have the freedoms of America back? THIS IS INSANE, Jess! Good find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, check out my top post...I have a little update at the bottom of my piece you ought to see :-)

    ReplyDelete