Monday, March 08, 2010

On Friday, March 13, 2009 I blogged about the last conversation with my dad, just four days earlier:

I talked to him Monday morning, he called me at work as he usually did several times a week, the conversation going something like this:

"Hewwo gaga"

"Hello"

"You busy?"

"Yeah I'm always busy, what's up?"

And we talked for about a half hour about this and that. I told him about the topic of the most recent discussion in one of my courses, it was the American labor movement. Pa and I talked about unions and his experiences with them, and what I've learned and so on. Then I told him about this reality show Vin and I watched the day before called "Inside American Jail" and how it covered what goes on inside a jail when a person is being booked. It was quite a funny show and dad and I laughed at some of the outrageous crap that goes on inside jails during the booking process. Dad could relate to that, having spent nearly ten years as a Correctional officer in a private prison, state prison and county jail.

Anyway we talked awhile and before we hung up he asked me what time I would be at their house Saturday (it's his birthday) and I said "what time do you want me there?" and of course he said "anytime" and I said I'd be there at 10:30 a.m.

That was the last time I talked to him. That night he had a stroke...


And so here we are one year later on that same day and how I wish pa would call me at work one more time and say "hi Gaga".

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess,

    I hit your blog accidentally and was caught by your latest entry.
    I'm so sorry that your dad passed away and I'm feeling with you - my story is similar. Saw my dad for the last time mid-April last year, two weeks later he and my mom went to Sweden for the summer. On May 11th he made a short trip with his canoe and drowned in a thunderstorm.

    In our hearts our fathers will live on forever!

    Hugs from Germany,
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete