Saturday, April 03, 2010

I watched "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" recently and I enjoyed it. I'd read the book a few years back and thought it was well written. After "Tuesdays with Morrie" I'd become a fan of Mitch Albom's work.

This was a heartfelt, tearful movie about a man who dies while saving a little girl, and in Heaven he meets five people whose lives he impacted during his lifetime. Prior to this he had always believed he never accomplished anything in his life and that his existence on earth had been a waste of time. It took those five people to show him he was wrong, and that every person is connected to every other person and every life is affected by those connections.

Both the book and movie made me sit back and think about something I've often said--that I haven't accomplished much in my life. I am not sure how I was measuring accomplishment. I suppose that I assumed by 40 I would have finished my degree, gone into the career of my dreams, had lots of money, and done so many other things of which I've often dreamed. A few friends reminded me some time ago that while I was busy wondering how I was supposed to make my mark upon the world, I was already busy making my mark on the world.

I just never stopped long enough to realize it.

Every now and then it is good to be reminded, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment