Thursday, May 06, 2010

Being American is offensive...

I did a double take at this story because at first I thought it was a joke.

Some excerpts:

"Administrators at a California high school sent five students home on Wednesday after they refused to remove their American flag T-shirts and bandannas -- garments the school officials deemed "incendiary" on Cinco de Mayo."

"The five students -- Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano, Dominic Maciel and Clayton Howard -- were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags."

"Freshman Laura Ponce, who had a Mexican flag painted on her face and chest, told the Morgan Hill Times that Cinco de Mayo is the "only day" Mexican-American students can show their national pride."



I think Assistant Principal Rodriguez should be fired. Clearly he does not show sound judgment. The only good thing to come out of this is the school district is investigating the situation. And when they're done, they can order the school officials to give these five kids a big fat public apology for discriminating against them. Yes, this was discrimination, taking action against the non-hispanic kids because they are not hispanic! Can you imagine had this been July 4th and the school officials sent the Mexican-American kids home for wearing the Mexican flag on their tee shirt? The ACLU would have been all over that.

I never thought that there would be a moment where being American would be something to hide in my country! I never thought that American pride and American values would be seen as offensive and rude in my country! I never thought the public school system would actually prevent children from learning American history and expressing their pride in their American heritage in my country! We share an American heritage and American culture. You're in America, get used to it. We do things a bit different here. After all, if we didn't you wouldn't be here in the first place.

I don't give a rat's ass what country you're from and if you want to celebrate your heritage that's fine with me, just don't prevent me from celebrating mine.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, nice blog & good post. You have beautifully maintained it, you must try this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, very nice blog, please visit mine to dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a mom, a blogger, and a Ph.D. student, and I need your help. I'm doing a study about why women blog, and you have been selected at random to participate in a short survey about what motivates you to blog and what you get out of blogging.



    I hope you will take it by clicking this link. (If the link does not show up in your browser when you click on “clicking this link,” you can click here or copy and paste this link into your browser: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/231228/women-bloggers Please do not distribute the link.



    Thanks in advance for your help. Feel free to contact me at gmmasull@syr.edu if you have any questions.



    Gina M. Chen
    Ph.D. student
    S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications
    Syracuse University
    215 University Place
    Syracuse, NY 13244-2100

    ReplyDelete