Wednesday, May 05, 2010

I don't know what came over me but I kicked ass at work today. Not that I usually don't but today I was able to clean house. I shredded a semester's worth of confidential stuff, re-organized my bookshelves and textbooks, filed all my graduated students, took care of some email replies and various other tasks. I felt really good, when I go into my office tomorrow, it's going to be well-organized and I'll be able to finish wrapping up spring term. I have to wrap up spring so I can move on to Summer as of Monday. I've got new Masters students beginning Summer B term and I have to get them orientated to the program and get them moving on their registrations in the next few weeks. Then I have to plan the fall orientation when the rest of the Masters and PhD students begin the program, not to mention all of our other students return. It's a lot of work but this is my 10th year in this particular position and I could do it with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back----as Rush says, "just to make it fair." :D

I'd like to add something to this. I bet you that the President's office maintains a nice cool temperature all day long. Too bad he doesn't have to deal with what we do every single day. What do we have to deal with? I'm glad you asked. On my floor of my building, one half of the hallway is nice and cool while the other half of the hallway is hot as hell. Today I was sweating in my office while down the hall one of the labs had to open their doors and windows because it was too cold in there! This university probably wastes so much money on energy because the equipment in the older buildings is sub-par and that's all I'm going to say about that. It just SUCKS. That's ok, I have a little trick up my sleeve I use to cool down my office and only "A" and I know about it, and maybe a few of my students. It works and that's all I care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment