Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Remembering Hawaii...

When I was stationed in Hawaii oh so many years ago one of my favorite things to do was take the duty van to Pier 4 and then walk into town and just walk Kalakaua Avenue from the pier all towards Diamond Head. It might be a Saturday night when nothing was going on at the base--no movies or parties and so I'd decide to go into town with just my military ID and a few bucks in my pocket. I can close my eyes and remember it like it was yesterday...

A cool night, a nice breeze coming in off the ocean at Waikiki Beach. Lots of nightlife, people driving, shopping, walking to and from the movie theaters, mall or other businesses. It was always busy at night. I'd stop and look in stores, sit and do some people watching, listen to live music, and just breathe in the clean crisp night air. Believe it or not back in the 80's it was safe for a young woman to walk down the strip alone. I'd walk as far as I could, which would be quite a long way and then when it was after midnight, I'd check into the nearest hotel, usually a Hyatt Regency or something nice like that. I'd get a high floor, a beach view and I'd keep all the lights off, open all the windows, and drift to sleep listening to the ocean, the nightlife and people below. It was really nice. The next morning wearing the same clothes I had on the night before, I'd check out of the hotel and grab breakfast at a cafe and walk back to the pier and catch a cab back to the base.

Those were the days....

No comments:

Post a Comment