Thursday, October 28, 2010

Are you people idiots?

I've been complaining here about customer no-service for years. I'm quick to jump on companies that don't provide good customer service and I'm just as quick to praise those who do. For the most part, I haven't really had a problem with DIRECTV until recently, it took three emails to get them to fix my bill  (see post titled Consumers Deserve Better)  and just when I thought all was well, the little switch on the top of the remote, that moves from DTV to Audio1, Audio2 and TV stopped working.  Instead of clicking to the proper position, it just slides. The only thing I can control with that remote now is sound and powering the satellite on and off. Can't change channels or anything else.  I emailed DIRECTV immediately and told them what I stated above. This was their response:

Thanks for writing. You’ve been with us for years now and we recognize you as a valued and loyal customer. We want you to know we appreciate it. I am sorry to hear about the problems you have with your remote control.

If your remote control doesn’t work at all, performs some functions but not others or works only with devices other than your DIRECTV Receiver, it may be due to the following:

-Your remote has weak batteries.
-The batteries aren’t placed correctly.
-Something is blocking the sensor on the front of your devices.

For your convenience, I have listed the possible resolution for the problem with your remote control.

1. Make sure your TV is tuned to the proper channel, which is usually channel 3 or 4. Then press the button on the remote control marked DSS, SAT or DIRECTV and try the remote again. 

2. Make sure nothing is blocking the front of your DIRECTV® Receiver. 

3. Try operating your receiver by using the buttons on its front. If you can turn it on or off, change channels and bring up the menus, the problem is with your remote, not with the receiver. 

4. Put new batteries in your remote. You may need to reprogram your remote to operate other electronic devices. To avoid this, change the batteries one at a time.

If the problem persists, since you have the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN, the best way for you to get help as soon as possible is to call 1-888-667-7463 and choose the option to speak to a technical assistant. Our Technical Support agents are trained to walk you through a number of troubleshooting steps which are too difficult to try to talk through over email.

In addition, you may find some helpful information at the DIRECTV Technical Help forums. Just visit http://forums.directv.com/pe/index.jsp to find answers to your questions.

I hope you find this information helpful and thank you again for writing.


To which I replied:

Dear Jaemie L.


Did you not read my email? What is the point of the "Contact us" if you are not going to read it in the first place. I was very specific when I said "The button at the top of the remote which switches from DTV to AV1, AV2, and TV is not working properly. It just slides back and forth instead of clicking into the proper place. I would like a replacement ASAP."


Then I received another reply from Mary Z at DIRECTV which should have been the ORIGINAL reply:



Thanks for writing us back. I am sorry to hear if your remote control's mode switch is no longer working. I understand that you would like to get a replacement remote control. Since you have the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN, the best way for you to get help as soon as possible is to call 1-888-667-7463 and choose the option to speak to a technical assistant.

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter.

So...the question I have is WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY THAT IN YOUR FIRST EMAIL? Was that so difficult? Why did they just waste my time and piss me off because they didn't read my email?  Now I have to call the pain in the asses.

Note to DIRECTV CEO Mike White, you might want to conduct some additional customer service training. Just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment