Saturday, October 16, 2010

It is better to be kind than to be right...

I like to debate and discuss and exchange different points of view. I have always been the kind of person who is interested in understanding all sides of an issue--and I've always felt it was my responsibility to help others do that too. That's a Libra--always the placater, always trying to balance the scales.  Seriously, it's true. It's no wonder that throughout my life my friends have come from all different walks of life--rich, poor, black, white, foreign, celebrities, non-celebrities, educated, uneducated, loners, party animals, the list goes on and on.  Maybe it's why I get along with so many different types of people from so many diverse groups and have never ever been a part of any one "clique" because I just don't fit in with one type--just as I don't buy there is always just one side of any issue.

I found though that in my quest for balance, sometimes I went a bit overboard, so hell bent on helping others see different points of view that I was actually trying to force it on them. I did not do it because I thought my view was the only one that mattered, rather I was did it because it bothered me that others thought their view was the only one that mattered. When I meet people who are staunchly for or against something, who refuse to take into consideration any alternative ideas, it bothers me. I don't know why. I suppose I believe we need to at least consider different points of view in order to have an informed opinion. And I believe informed opinions help us be more responsible people. But I also believe that it's not worth losing relationships with people I care about.

I pride myself in being the kind of person who treats others with kindness and respect and the lesson I have learned over the years is that it is better to be kind than to be right. It took me a long time to come to that conclusion. There are times we have to ask ourselves what is more important to us--the person or the issue. If in that situation, one chooses the issue over the person, then perhaps it wasn't a real meaningful relationship to begin with. As for me, I'm sticking with people because when times get tough and the world seems cold and lonely, it's people, not issues who get me through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment