Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Too much news...

I'll be frank. I can't tell you the last time I watched the news, I mean really watched the news. Oh I watched snippets of the rescue of the Chilean miners on CNN's website but other than that I haven't a clue as to what's going on in the world right now, which would explain why I had no idea those brave miners were stuck underground for 69 days. I really had no idea. My lack of being "in the know" at this moment in time may surprise those who know me because I am generally very well-informed (and very opinionated about things) but I just needed a break. I tend to soak in a lot of information in a short period of time and I found myself simply overwhelmed with television news and talk radio not to mention the nauseating political ads in-between. I still read the Sunday paper but generally it's more for the obituaries. I find that every day my name is not listed in them is a pretty good day.

This morning though I said to myself "Self--why don't you go online and see what's happening in the world?" and I opened up a news site and clicked on the first link and what do you know? It was a story about a guy who sold a plant at a yard sale which unbeknownst to him contained the ashes of his wife's deceased grandmother. Of course the wife was able to track down the buyer and get the plant back but still, I don't make this stuff up. I thought it was hilarious. But then again who wouldn't so long as long as it wasn't our grandmother right?

The biggest reason for not tuning in to the news right now is the overwhelming abundance of negative political ads. Oh my God if I have to hear another negative ad I'm going to hurl myself out the nearest window!  Thank goodness the elections are in a couple of weeks. Right now the most heated races in Florida are the U.S. Senate and Governor's races. The Senate race is between Crist, Meek and Rubio and they are hammering each other in ads.  Crist of course is the Republican sore loser who actually switched parties to Independent just to split the vote. I mean he's running as an Independent but his platform is Republican. Yeah ok that's something new and fresh now isn't it?   Then there's the Governor's race with the corrupt Republican Rick Scott and the equally incompetent Democrat Alex Sink. IMO the best thing Alex Sink has going for her is running mate Rod Smith, a man who is a decent, honest, respectable guy. But I can't vote for her because of him. I mean I could hope she runs into some sort of scandal and has to resign, then Smith would be Governor and that would be ok with me, but with my luck we'd be stuck with her.

See, I talk about politics and I get all off track and I start to get pissed off. Where was I?  Oh yes, the news...

It's too negative, too biased and there's just too damn much of it.

The End!

No comments:

Post a Comment