Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Last Friday while moving furniture out of my office in preparation for renovations, I inadvertently left an item on a file cabinet in the hallway. I never saw it again. The item was a Star Wars light saber my mother gave me for my 40th birthday last year. That was a special birthday, not just because I turned 40 but it was the first birthday since my dad died and to brighten the mood, I celebrated with family and friends. Mom gave me this unusual gift because one stressful day at work I remarked that I wished I had a light saber so that I could wield it and make things at work go my way. Little did I know how popular that saber would be in my Department. The fabulous blue neon light and cool sounds made it a great conversation piece among faculty, staff and students.

Sadly, this is just one of many thefts from University departments in recent years. Office equipment and personal items have disappeared from private offices by thieves working quickly and quietly. It would be nice to be able to leave one’s office to walk to the water fountain or coworker’s office down the hall without the worry that someone might steal you blind. But alas, it is not so.

By now my birthday gift likely adorns a wall in an apartment, dorm or fraternity. To the thief, I say enjoy! Maybe someday if you’re lucky, it will happen to you. 

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/09/2010

    With or with the light - "the force" is still with you young Jedi:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/09/2010

    we should put signs up around campus.. with a reward = and then when someone contacts us, we lure them in the office, and show them how us German's take care of thieves! (and then steal the light saber back of course)....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL "Us Germans" well I know who left THAT comment. LOL Sina! Yeah I never thought of that. I can print color pics of the saber!! Reward = date with hot German chick LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. its always nice to find people with a smile and i got it here.

    ReplyDelete