Monday, November 22, 2010

A small act of kindness goes a long way.

I was rather busy at work today and being a Tuesday, I was trying to get some major projects completed before leaving for my two-hour Journalism lecture which breaks my day in half and eats into my productivity!

In the midst of advising one of my grad students shortly before class, another student walked into my office just to give me a great big hug! It made my day. Truth be told, we're like one big happy completely dysfunctional family and I mean dysfunctional in a good way!  They know my moods, they know when I'm going insane, they know when I'm stressed. And they always have a kind word, a joke, or a hug. I am so thankful to know them and be a part of their lives!

We have over 100 grad students, most of them from the US, but some others from countries like Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Egypt, China, Korea, Greece, Mexico, Albania, Haiti, Colombia, Honduras, Ecuador, South Africa, India, and Bulgaria. I have learned so much from them. Some of the most fascinating conversations I've had have been with them.  I don't think I've ever met a nicer group of young people ever.

This part of my life has been a fantastic journey and the experience of having known them will stay with me forever, having changed me in ways I never thought possible. Actually I believe they have been a small part of what has inspired me to be a better person and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment