Friday, December 31, 2010

Pondering life.

Trying to make sense of life and overcoming one's fears and obstacles isn't something that just happens overnight. There's no magic cure, no potion, no advice, no sudden changes that can make everything the just way we want it. We have to work for it. We realize that, accept it, and do what it takes, right?  Well, yes and no. It's easy if you know where to begin and it's hard as hell if not seemingly impossible if you don't.

We have one opportunity to make life count. We don't get seconds. Once we're done, we're done. Yes, it kinda sucks that we have so much to cram into a short span of life (it is short in comparison to the life span of our universe and the longevity of infinity) but if there's one thing we don't have control over, it's when we're born and when we die. Sure there are factors that shorten or lengthen our lives, but in the end, I think our final day is already set, it's on a calendar. Life and death are like points on a graph and they're marked for us ahead of time, maybe to make things easier for us, who knows? What points we choose in between to get from start to finish are totally up to us. Of course that's easier said than done.

Life isn't about material things, it's not about dollar value. In the end, how much money we have, the square footage of our home, the number of cars in the garage, the type of career we have, our highest level of education, our fame and fortune...none of those things matter. What really matters is the legacy we've left behind, the impact we make on what and who we left behind. Small impacts can leave huge wakes. I do not believe we are given this finite period of time on earth to just merely live and die and leave nothing in our wake to show for it. What we do matters. Who we are matters. We all matter.

2 comments:

  1. That was awesome, and very, very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa1/02/2011

    I agree with this Jess 100%. It's not what we attain in life but what we do with our lives that count the most. As a Christian, I pray that I can be an instrument for God. I want to leave a legacy for Him and for those who knew me. I want them to know that I was His. I want people to know that by my actions. As the saying goes, actions speak louder than words. I want to help those in need and more and more each day I have that desire. I pray it only grows stronger for me and that God uses me the way He desires. I want people to want what I have because of the happiness and joy they see in my life. Our life fades away quickly...it's not the things we acquire but how we treat others that will matter. I ask myself, what will people say about me when I am gone...what kind of legacy will I leave? We do all matter...maybe not to others but to God. :)Teresa

    ReplyDelete