Saturday, March 12, 2011

It's never too late...

The need to find oneself isn't restricted to youth. Generally when we think of breaking away, we picture 18-year olds wanting to break free of mom and dad's reign and seek their own individuality and dreams in life.

I'm 41 and it hit me last year, I'm still trying to break free, but not from my parents, from myself. For so many years I reigned myself in out of fear. The fear of failure is powerful. Taking risks is not something that's ever come easy to me and I generally shy away from it. What I could never accept was failure or defeat. All that time I was missing the point of the journey, it isn't about what lies at the end of the road, it's what is learned getting there.

That is what life is all about. 

I have been fortunate in my life to have a great number of people who have supported and encouraged me through both good and bad times. There are people who have seen my potential and nearly s-p-e-l-l-e-d it out for me but I never paid attention. I never thought I was good enough. I never thought I could do it. And finally when I began to think I could do it, I worried it was too late.

Or so I thought. 

It's never too late. 

I've been on this journey of self-discovery for what I thought was just the past year, but as it turns out it's been going on my whole life. It has taken me all these years to get to this moment.  There is so much more for me to know about myself. There is still time to accomplish my hopes and dreams. 



Grew up in a small town
And when the rain would fall down
I'd just stare out my window

Dream of what could be
And if I'd end up happy
I would pray

Trying hard to reach out
But when I'd try to speak out
Felt like no one could hear me

Wanted to belong here
But felt something so wrong here
So I pray
I could breakaway

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky
And I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway

Out of the darkness and into the sun
But I won't forget all the ones that I loved
I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway

Wanna feel the warm breeze
Sleep under a palm tree
Feel the rush of the ocean

Get onboard a fast train
Travel on a jet plan, far away
And breakway

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky
And I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway

Out of the darkness and into the sun
But I won't forget all the ones that I loved
I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway

Buildings with a hundred floors
Swinging 'round revolving doors
maybe I don't know where they'll take me but
Gotta keep moving on, moving on
Fly away, breakaway

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
Though it's not easy to tell you goodbye
I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a chance
And breakaway

Out of the darkness and into the sun
But I won't forget the place I come from
I gotta take  a risk, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway, breakaway, breakaway

~Kelly Clarkson~

1 comment:

  1. Wow...at last you understand!

    ReplyDelete