Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Last night I dreamed my dad died a second time.

I had this dream last night. I know I've had it before. I need to write about it before I forget it.

In the dream, my dad died of a heart attack. I was in mom and dad's house unpacking this bag he had that he used to take to work with him, to change clothes. It had clothes, coins and other things in it. I was stacking everything and going to put it away. I recall I was going to separate the coins and put them in different jars according to the type of coin because that's apparently how dad had done it in the dream. Dad's sister Annette and husband Mac were there and so were some of my other relatives from Georgia. Annette wanted to talk to me but I just had nothing to say to anyone. I was so sad. I didn't want to talk to anyone.

I recalled while I was doing all that unpacking that it was a year earlier that dad had suffered a stroke and at the hospital he died. I had told everyone my dad was dead and the paper even printed an obituary but maybe hours or a day after he supposedly died, he woke up and he was fine. I remember having a dream like this months ago that it actually happened that way. So technically dad died twice according to last night's dream. I kept thinking how weird it was that he we all thought he was dead and came back to be alive and well for a year then keeled over from a heart attack.

It was so strange. So very strange. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Wow....either way, you had to face him dying twice. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so strange. I wonder what it means!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly how Dad saved his coins. He had different jars for each one, they're still here on his shelf.

    Do you know how many times I have watched him die? I've tried so hard to block it and not to think about it any more, but it's very, very difficult for me to do. Thankfully I never dream about it. My dreams of Dad are usually just the opposite.

    I wish I could tell you what that dream signifies. I'm wondering if your subconscious cannot accept the fact that he's gone, so in your dream you brought him back, all the while knowing what would eventually happen.

    ReplyDelete