Monday, April 25, 2011

Summer 1981...

It was a hot summer, blistering hot, and humid as hell. I remember because mom had the air conditioning in the house cranked way down on cool and when I walked outside I was nearly knocked senseless by the blast of heat and typical Florida mugginess.

What do I remember about that summer? Besides the heat?  I remember the wedding of Prince Charles to Lady Diana.  It was July 1981, the middle of a brutal summer and on that day I had nothing better to do but traipse from inside the house to the outdoors and back again, to mom's dismay. Every five minutes I heard mom yelling, "either go outside or stay in!!"  and of course on the verge of teenage-hood, when did I listen to my mother? And so I went in and out, in and out, hearing my mother's annoying sighs each time.

Oddly enough I don't recall much if anything about that summer but I always remembered the heat...and the wedding. It was broadcast on ABC television and I remember walking back and forth past the TV catching glimpses of it. It was a huge event back then, but really what would a 12-year old know or care about it?  Oh I was always fascinated by the history of England and the monarchy but more from a historical point of view and not as a fan. What can I say? The historian in me found it fascinating,

That said, I'm not at all caught up in the glitz and glamour of the upcoming nuptials of William and Kate, in fact I won't be watching it. It's just a wedding, it's almost a shame it has to be so public because I think it's a special day that belongs to them, not the people. I wish them happiness and only hope that their marriage fares better than that of William's parents and I hope the paparazzi and press leave them alone. But sadly we know that isn't going to happen.

Anyway, it's kind of interesting how I so vividly remember the scorching details of a hot humid summer day nearly 30 years ago all because of one single event. Or did the event remind me of the hot humid summer day?  I'd like to think that for whatever reason, my psyche has considered that moment in time significant enough to store away for future reference. Maybe someday I will come to understand it as well as all the other vividly detailed memories my mind has stored away, silently and patiently waiting for the moments I am supposed to recall them, for whatever reason may never be known to me---not consciously anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I still remember the wedding, but to think it was all the way back in 1981?? Where did those years go?

    ReplyDelete