Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Politics beyond the Beltway 8/23: Becoming Empowered and a Little Angry Too!

My "Politics Beyond the Beltway" lecture is Tuesdays and Thursdays and I decided I'm going to pass the some good info on to you to foster a bit of discussion or maybe just for your own reading enjoyment. This course is all about politics outside the DC Beltway, this includes state and local government. The professor is very clear from the beginning that we're going to be angry and outraged about some things and I'm ok with that. I've been outraged for years, hence why I blog so much political stuff. The primary reason I'm taking the course is to learn more about what's going on behind the scenes so I can use that information to be empowered and empower others. That's what it's all about.

I'm the only History major in the class, the remaining are Political Science majors, with a few Journalism students in there somewhere. At 41, I'm the oldest student in there and it shows LOL. Let's just say the professor today talked about Eastern Airlines and I was the only one in the class who remembers when Eastern used to fly and when they filed for bankruptcy (1989). I don't think any of my classmates were even born then! 

The title of each post related to the class will be Politics Beyond the Beltway and will include the lecture date. It'll also be a good reference for me to go back years from now and see what I got out of the class as I was taking it. I promise you this is going to be a great class.

Oh yeah we've got some great texts, among them Carl Hiaasen, Barbara Ehrenreich, William Julius Wilson and Mary Pattillo. More to come on these texts later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment